Thursday 8 July 2010

Books & hills

Out there in the big wide world, there is a letterboxer - lets call him John (cos thats his name) - who sells the virtues of visitors books on his cluesheets.
I quote: "All boxes have books, after all wasn't that the whole point about letterboxing?"
Here, here John. James Perrot took Plymouth's citizens to Cranmere Pool not simply for the ride, but to write their names in the book.
I have written on the forum at http://www.dartmoorletterboxing.org/ in the
past about my personal fondness for visitors books, and a route around Amicombe Hill just
reinforced my belief. Besides the ring rock, and the GPO stones, the flagpole and stakes (and 34 boxes found), this hill doesn't have much going for it. Its obscure, remote, and overwhelmed with letterbox sites. Which means it has all the makings for a Cut Hill Mark II.
The ring rock is intriguing but the visitors books are even more so.

Its the back-of-book policy which puzzles me most. Who is the prancing frog, and why is the space reserved for them?
The Officially Official Dartmoor Officials - how? Why?!Ying/Yang, the monkey, Keep Smiling... Huh?
The reason was explained as being "so we know who has visited before without having to go through the book" but I don't know who these people are, so how does that help?
I'll stick to front for now.

1 comment:

4 Winds said...

Amicombe Hill makes for a cracking run, too. I love that track from Kitty flagpole down past the rings rock and following the Amicombe/Tavy/Rattlebrook. A while ago I tried to find the ring rock at Tavy Hole and no luck (even with an 8 fig ref)!

Paul